Tuesday 30 October 2012

The start of the researching

After having a long think about this module and the lines of inquiry it really stuck out to me that I am interested and passionate about the effects it has on a child depending on the age they start at. As I am working in reception my year group is a prime example of how children start at different times. We have the oldest children who are born in the early quartile of the year the start one week earlier for just a morning. The following week the oldest just do the morning again and the youngest who are born in the later quartile the do the afternoon. The third week into the term the youngest children they just do the morning now and the oldest they do all day up untill two. The fourth week the youngest stay untill two and the oldest they do full day. Then finally in the fifth week of term they all do full time depending on if they are ready and settled. I mean is this fair? Does sit mean to say the younger ones aren't as ready? Does this have an effect on they schooling throughout their first year? Does this then have a knock on effect later on?

This is just in my practise I wonder if anyone knows of any different processes or what they know works best of the children.............

2 comments:

  1. I think if you asked teachers and parents you would get lots of comments on this. I think the starting question might be 'why is the public school system based on the child's age in any specific academic year?

    Clearly differences will be amplified the younger the child (August child might be nearly a full year younger than a September child) and at age 5-6 the ;differences' in cognitive and behavioural capabilities will likely be amplified).

    Were I pursuing this line of questioning, I would first get myself very well acquainted with the literature and policy on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete